Friday, September 30, 2011

Marriage is Good

I think one of the reasons I started writing is because I had so much trouble finding books and movies that statisfied me. More and more they are from a place of dissolutionment. I'm one of the few people of my generation who comes from an in-tact home. Now I won't pretend it was always a good marriage, but my parents were together until my dad passed about 3 years ago. My brothers are much older than me and got married in their twenties while I was still in elementary school, and both are still happily married.

I married my high school sweetheart. I never really loved anyone else. Only had one other short 1 month relationship in high school, so my own heart has been spared heartache, so it's easy for me to believe love still exists and can last. If my background was different, I'm sure that belief would be harder to have faith in.

Back to movies and books. I don't want to spend hours reading a book or series to end with, "We'll try this thing out and see how it goes." or "I want to be free to go if I ever want out." That is NOT satisfying.

I know they want fiction to mimic real life, but that ending leaves you empty and I don't know.. hopeless? But in Real life Real love exists and to try to convince people that because it's HARD to make it last, that it's IMPOSSIBLE to make it last makes us all feel defeated and ready to settle for whatever.

I've been married for almost 16 years, but have been with my husband for 18 years (dated 2 years). It is HARD to stay in love. What works for us is to try to put each other before ourselves. You'd think that would just get you trampled on but it doesn't when you are both looking out for the other. Do we mess up and get selfish? Yep and we appologize, forgive and move on.

God is a big factor in this too. My husband and I are Christians so we believe what the Bible says. One thing it says is that Christ and His relationship with the church (the church is the believers, not a denomination) is the example for husbands and wives. In that mysterious relationship between husband and wife, we get a glimmer of the mystery of Christ and His love for His people.

God has an enemy and that enemy is out to destroy our belief in love and marriage. Because if we catch a glimmer of that mystery, we might seek out the One it is an example of.

Anyway, this is the place I write from. A place where love lasts forever. An enemy is out to destroy it all and there are supernatural forces at work that most people have no clue about.

Gotta go cuddle my baby boy now. Hope you enjoyed my ramble. Let me know what you think.

1 comment: